Sunday, December 04, 2005

Anniversary

You know, it just kind of hit me today that I've been blogging for 2 years as of November 28th. Sure, The Satellite Of Blog has gone through various phases, titles, deletions, and addresses, but I have been blogging nonetheless.

As a newfound creative outlet, blogging has opened up an entire new world of friends, and knowledge to me. There have been many ups and many downs along the way, and I'm sure there will be plenty more in the future. Thankfully, blogging makes the ups and downs of life seem so much more interesting.
___

I work 3 - midnight today, always a joy. I wonder who my supervisor is? Super Boy? I hope not, I'd hate to have to beat him down with a bag of frozen deli buns. The bleach toothed bastard's hair is the same color as his fake tan, and I'm sure he'll be trying to tell me how to do a job that I've been doing for 3 years.

Yep, that's right. I have been behind counters for 3 years now.

It's scary. As busy of a store as we are most of my customers revel in the fact that I can pick out their "routines" before they even step up to the counter.

Take Charlie for instance. He always fills his thermose with regular coffee, which is $0.63. When I see him at night, he usually fills up his large red truck with gasoline as well.

I charge him for the coffee always, because he always gets it. It's always positioned at the coffee island waiting for him to sweep it away out the door.

Or how about the barrage of customers that look at me, and using nothing but their fingers let me know how many packs of their particular brand of cigs they want.

Newport 100's Box, Jack Light 100's, Marlboro Reds, Camel Wides, Vantage 100's, Viceroy, Misty Menthol 120's, Virginia Slim Super Slims, Jack Non-Filter...you name it. I know most of what my cig customers are getting.

FUCK! What a useless waste of space they've taken up in my mind.

It means I know how to make all of our food, and know most customers "special requests" before they even finnish ordering.

"Buns steamed well, light ketchup and mustard."

"Nacho cheese on the side."

"Extra mushrooms."

Double fuck.

An upside to my anniversary with the company is that I get my nifty new uniform. All black, instead of the cheesy blue we've been forced to wear for the past two years.

Maybe I'll get them tonight. Now if only they'd cut out the manditory hat policy for sales clerks, or at least impliment a visor option, I'd be a little bit happier.

But you know, this 3 year trek has taught me so much about people, about the workforce, and about myself. I have a lot of customers who I really care about, and have made friends with. The conversations I've had have been interesting, and a lot of people I've met through work have opened some doors for me.

When I think about it, I know now that when I finally do accomplish my goals, I'm going to appriciate it far more than some spoiled brat who has had everything handed to them on a silver platter. (My cousin for instance?)

I'll enjoy it, because I will always have the horrible memories of walking through the snow at 5 AM to work, and how it feels to be called an "idiot". I'll remember what it felt like to take orders, and to have a bus full of hungry football players clamoring around the order points.

I'll remember the assholes.

I'm working to become who I want to become, and that will make looking back all the more interesting.

Here's to a third year of blogging.

pc2

Peace, love, and hugs to all.

xoxoxo