Saturday, March 10, 2007

Spring

For the April issue of ODT, I'll be doing some more realistic wildlife illustration with (you guessed it) pen and ink. So what am I drawing? The mountain lion, also known as cougar or puma. I've never been really good at felines but having done sketches from bobcat references, I finally got a realistic look to the cougar. It's probably the best drawing of a cat that I've ever done. (Knock on wood - as it isn't quite done!) This will be the first piece of artwork that may have more of a 'wow' factor in it. Something more elegant and real than a cartoon - but with the obviously-art-look of pen and ink. I hope the editor likes it.

As a bonus, I'm sending another drawing which says "NO HUNTING" in cartoon style. Standing beside a tree (with the sign attached) are a black bear, white-tailed deer, and wild turkey...all laughing and pointing, and all of "trophy size". I was going for a bit of humor with this one...and although he didn't ask it of me, I'm sure he could probably find a place to use it in upcoming issues.

Luigi is doing great by the way. By day 3 he was completely trained on the puppy pads, going on his own and then anxiously anticipating which one of us was going to give him a treat for his efforts. I'm anxious to get him out for a walk when warmer weather arrives.

In a few weeks I'm going to begin mushroom hunting again. This spring I'm hunting for one of the most prized edibles, the morel. Highly sought after, I only started shrooming after morel season last year - and so I spent all year kicking myself in the ass because of not picking up the hobby sooner. Now I'm prepared. I have a handy morel hunting book and a well trained eye for finding fungi - plus plenty of superb morel habitat to snoop around. The black morel is first in April, followed by the yellow morel in May. It's going to be an exciting year!

Along with the artwork I'm sending to ODT, I'm going to send an article or two. I'd like to get some writing published along with some of my own artwork. That would be kickass to the second power. That's my next goal.

Trout season is a month away...I can't believe it! I need to get my license, and I may not even be able to have it off this year unless I trade! It all depends, but it is so important to me...I sure hope the boss realizes this and does what she can. I have to get some spinners, and equipment.

The sun is shining, the snow is melting, and spring is on its way. I can't wait!

Love n Peace