Sunday, September 04, 2005

Autumn

I <3 autumn.

I remember hayrides. I remember picking out a plump pumpkin in the pumpkin patch, taking it to grandmas and carving it out. Roasted pumpkin seeds with salt were a sufficient reward for the efforts. My cousins and I would sit at the picnic table under a maple tree as leaves danced around us in the breeze, munching on seeds.

I remember wind shuffled hair, rosy cheeks, and crisp breezes.

I remember diving into leaf piles, and re-raking them all just to do it again.

I remember the itch of leaves that got inside my clothes.

Photo by Michael Kensinger

I remember trout I've caught in the cold autumn streams.

Although the leaves haven't changed yet, it won't be long until the mountains are splashed with vibrant reds, yellows, and oranges. Like most things of greatness, it is all too short-lived. It won't be long before I'm remembering, again. But in Pennsylvania, we're every bit as lucky as those New Englanders when it comes to AMAZING autumns.

Photo by Michael Kensinger

It's inspiring.

In mid-October, I'm going to northern Pennsylvania to witness our wild Elk population in the peak of the leaf changing season. I will spend a weekend in a cabin, or a house -- we haven't decided.

I think it's time to re-remember all the things I love about autumn, and I can't wait.