Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

In one minute, it won't be Thanksgiving anymore. So, I guess I better be quick to say what exactly I'm thankful for.

First and foremost, I'm thankful each and every one of my friends, and the people who I encounter on a daily basis that make my life better. Not just real life friends, but even you online pals who offer me unrelenting support via this blog. (And even those who set me straight from time to time, when I get out of hand.)

I'm thankful that Full House is no longer a popular sitcom.

I'm also thankful to have, overall, a loving supporting family. I'm thankful that I have a family, and I'm thankful for all those who keep me in their thoughts.

I'm thankful to have a future.

I'm thankful for the talents God gave me, and the things that make me unique.

I'm thankful for my mom, dad, and brother.

I'm thankful for a nice set of smackers to send each and every one of you a Thanksgiving kiss, from me.

*muah*
_____

Thanksgiving turned out not to be as bad as planned.

Upon waking up, I had expected the day to be a day of misery. Working while everyone else gathered around a warm loving table, with a golden turkey and loads of side dishes that are simply delish! (I made that sound gay on purpose.)

Thankfully, the manager on duty sent me home an hour early, and I joined my grandparents, and a pile of more distant relatives (great aunts, great great aunts, great grandma, great grandpa, and great uncle in-laws). The youngest in the crowd were 40 in age, with the exception of me.

Their lives, so much more interesting than I ever knew.

Did you know that my great great aunt has made a handful of albums? Did you know that she lived just outside of north Hollywood!? Of course you wouldn't.

Her daughter, 40, is extremely talented (especially with country music) vocally, and plays acoustic guitar. I was blown away by her voice.

Then there's my great great aunt Darleen, who sang on local radio when she was a teenager. She sat poised, like the others, elegant, aged, but glittering with old-fashioned hopes of being famous as they talked about all the famous people they knew.

It was great.

My grandma also sings, actually both sides do -- and on the other side my uncle fronted a metal band.

I come from a family of singers. I think it would be so great to front a band, to sing. I'd like to take lessons, perhaps even from them?

All I know is my family is a lot more interesting, and talented than I ever knew, with a history of great voices and "almost famous" stories.

The men, although many of them can sing as well, TYPICALLY avoided it. Most were content with being showerstall rock stars, before heading off to work.

Not me. I think it would be great to be a singer. I've found that in my family, I wasn't the first to want to move to California to try to be a success, and that in fact -- quite a few in my family had.

Perhaps grandma was right. Maybe I should embrace my voice and sing publically?

What an awesome Thanksgiving! I have a new found respect for each and everyone of those who had the balls to do what I've been considering over time.