Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ka-ching!

My stupidity saved Christmas. [Alas! It has served a purpose this year!]

Have you ever found money when cleaning your house, or checking a pair of dirty pants? The joy that it brings you, even if it's 5 dollars, is priceless. Afterall, it's money that you didn't expect to have, right? Well, the text that will follow this introductory paragraph is just like that, but multiplied a few times.

---

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't been keeping track of all the reciepts in my checkbook. In fact, I haven't done that since 2004.

Back in the day I would simply withdraw $20 here, and $20 there, and like a good boy, I would record each withdrawal. But somehow, I got into the nasty habit of using my check card for even the most miniscule of purchases, resulting in an "I can't be bothered" attitude. An attitude of sheer laziness, that resulted in a wallet stuffed full of yellow reciepts, and a barrage of overdraft fees (thanks to courtesy coverage, the money is always in there...they just charge you 30 bucks per transaction).

Some may remember that months ago I opened a secret savings account, and switched my account preferences to direct deposite for work.

So neglected are my account records (even in my mind), that I completely forgot about the fact that a certain amount of my check every two weeks (I hate bi-weekly pay periods) will be desposited in my savings.

While I thought that my parents and close friends were going to have to go giftless this holiday season, I've managed to completely surprise myself. That savings account is still absorbing money from my checks, and has been for 2 or 3 checks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to try and avoid using that money (it's car money afterall), but mom and dad won't be giftless as previously thought.

Now to find how much is in there, adjust all my account information, get my accounts straightened out, and return to being the good boy who always kept track of his money. A wise man always knows where his money is.

Amanda and I will be going Christmas shopping Wednesday. With it being so close to Christmas, that trip in itself may be a very blog-worthy extursion. Especially considering every time I go to Walmart I get the urge to throw merchandise at people.

With this discovery, our charming Christmas tree, and the arrival of our favorite holiday CD (thanks eBay!), the Christmas spirit will indeed make a triumphant return to our household!



Peace and love to all.
xoxoxoxo