Sunday, January 15, 2006

Prom Memories

I didn't go to my own senior prom, but I did manage to go to State College's senior prom at Beaver Stadium way back in '02.

I remember that night vividly. I remember standing in line with my friend Kelli, and my "prom date" Becky, making jokes and cracks to ease the butterflies everyone seemed to have. They practically had to drag me there, as I was living in the tightest shell anyone had ever seen. As a small town boy, State College scared the hell out of me.

So, we entered the prom as a trio, and set off to have some fun.

Everyone seemed so happy, except me.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad night. But prom night for me was basically a waste of time. I looked around, and saw so many highschool sweethearts hugging and dancing, and I only grew green with envy as the night went on. I stole glances at various guys who I thought might be in my shoes; the shoes of a closeted gay boy who desperately needed out.

I only danced with Becky a few times, because I was so backward about dancing. In 2002, I was definitely not into dancing at all. I was a conservative tight ass who was always afraid of what others thought.

I do remember Becky dancing with another guy though. She danced with him a LOT that night, but I never did see who he was for sure. I just remember her talking about him when we asked where she took off to.

---

Four years later, here I am, talking to a possible new friend. He's gay. My age.

Amy, one of my best friends, approached me about him, asking how I knew him.

"Oh, I've talked to him online for a couple months. Why?" I asked.

"Because I know him, and he used to be really good friends with Becky. He's a really cool kid."

"Oh yeah?" I said...taking note of the small coincidence.

"It's a small world!" I said.

"Yeah...Becky used to say we should try to hook you two up." Amy pointed out.

I know I remember his name being mentioned on at least one occassion, but never put two and two together.

Funnily enough, Becky knows both him and I very well, well enough to make the judgement that we'd get along.

So, I went to him, and told him of the coincidence.

That was when he pointed out that he had danced with Becky a lot that night. He was the guy she was dancing with.

We were in the same room, probably just feet away from each other, in the very same shoes, and never knew.

So here we are...2006...and both he and I are out of the proverbial closet. We're gonna chill next week, and I think we're going to have a blast. I always had a blast with my girls...so I'm really feeling confident that him and I could be great friends as well.

It's a good sign.