Thursday, June 08, 2006

Special Olympics

I volunteered today (along with about 10 of my co-workers) to help the Special Olympics opening ceremony in State College, PA. I toted a flag (along side # 17 of the Penn State Nittany Lion football team) across the field, representing Potter County (though I have no relation to the county whatsoever!). There were thousands cheering, and even though not a single one of them was rooting for me, the energy and kindess aimed at the athletes gave me a bit of a buzz.

That said, I had skipped a party one of my friends was having to do it. I missed out on alchohol, and gossip...but the buzz I gained by helping made it all worth it.

This was just something I wanted to experience. These people, so easily thrilled by the most simple acts of kindness are some of the most amazing, loving people I've seen.

Now I know why they are so special.