Sunday, February 11, 2007

Birds

Just some shots of my bird feeding station. I've only recently started this hobby - although I've been birding since I was about 5 years old. I had a huge entry typed up on birdfeeding but mom blew a fuse and blogger's "recover post" feature is about as useful as tits on a boar.

My feeding station (all supplies purchased at Walmart):

Wire mesh hanging style feeder. Dark green, with mesh just large enough to allow the black oil sunflower seeds through when tugged upon by a hungry bird. Also, a specialized thistle feeder -- perfect for goldfinches and siskins. Note: my feeders are all placed near "cover" for the birds to fly to in case of danger. This is VERY important! Also - I had to buy the hooks to hang the feeders from.



Hanging platform. Pretty universal. I mix corn, sunflower, and millet to please a wide variety of birds. Some birds prefer to feed on the ground, or flat surfaces. This benefits both perch feeders and ground feeders such as cardinals, juncos, and sparrows. Mine is rather small...but it will suffice for now.



Suet. Popular among all birds, and especially birds who have an insectivorous diet. There are are a wide variety of "flavors". I recommend a mesh bag or 'suet cage'. There are a variety of feeders for suet.



Noted species that frequent the feeders so far?

  • Black-capped Chickadee
  • Tufted Titmous
  • Juncos
  • Song Sparrows
  • Northern Cardinals
  • Carolina Wren
  • House Finch
  • House Sparrow
  • Gray Squirrel
  • Downy Woodpecker

I'm having a blast with this. The chickadees are getting pretty brave when they see me fill the feeders. I'm hoping to eventually get some to eat out of my palm.

Love n Peace