Thursday, June 07, 2007

> fitness

Calories burned today: 1157

So I went to the gym today and did a 2 hour cardio work out which featured both the reclined bicycle, and the elliptical machine. I did a work out and a half on each (a total of 2 hrs at the gym) and burned a total of 1157 calories. That's 557 calories more than recommended to lose 1 lb a week. (If you work out daily!)

For those who don't know, 3500 calories equals 1 lb of fat. So it goes without saying that the proverbial engines have been warmed and fired up, and I am now well on my way to a healthier heart, and body overall.

I was seriously sweating myself into oblivion as I watched the news on the gym television. (Paris Hilton seems to be making headlines yet again for her "get out of jail early" card.) I enjoy the elliptical machine because it's no-impact motion allows you to burn calories without destroying joints. Moreover, I'm told it seems to burn stomach fat quickly.

Whatever the case...I don't know what I weigh. I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I weigh myself. I've given the muscles a rest again because some (particularly my upper body/abs) are still quite tender from Tuesday's workout. I did some lower back exercise, and some lower ab reps before going back to the cardio.

After 1157 calories (and a nature hike still ahead of me) I opted to call it a day. Stay tuned for a blog entry on the nature hike.