Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What to wear?

It's almost time already! When I wake up, the plan is to talk to my manager about taking a supervisor position, and to head from there to get my haircut for the big date with Coffee Guru!!

Let me give you a bit of a run down: Coffee Guru has been on a site that I belong to ever since I joined, and I quickly added him to my hot list after stumbling upon his interesting profile, and beautiful face. Since winter, I've been kind of seeing him pop in and out, but never had the guts to ever ask him out. Then came myspace, and he sent me a request to "add as friend". Hell yeah! From there, we talked more and more on the net...then finally, on the phone. He'd suggested swinging by my workplace to say hi, but I urged him not to, worrying about what a first impression I might give as a slave behind the counter. We had a date scheduled, so why not just wait? He said he would wait for the date, but the little devil snuck in anyway...saying he couldn't wait. He walked past with a grin, looking at me out of the corner of his eyes. I noticed him blush a little bit when he came back up, and I fumbled around aimlessly with a ladies subs, practically throwing them into a bag in all my flustered state.

He stood poised at the counter edge,"Hi, how are you doing?"

"Good, how are you?"

Neither one of us found it in us to make solid eye-contact. He asked for cigarettes, and we barely spoke, out of nervousness. Suddenly, even after four years of working here, I forgot where the marlboro menthol light 100's were kept!

"Um...uh..." I grabbed a carton, after a minute of processing what exactly was going on. I feverishly swiped them across the scanner, and the line was building behind him.

"Have a good night."

"You too."

He walked out the door, smirked, and headed out to his vehicle. Upon leaving the parking lot, he waved to me.

The last few hours of work after that point were quite difficult. I couldn't stop THINKING about him, or thinking about everything I had said or done. My hands were dirty...oh shit...I was sweaty, and my face was too red. I thought about how my shirt was tucked in...did I look like a goof? Suddenly, I began to crumble under the weight of my own concerns, and I wondered if I would ever get that Tuesday date. What did he think of me, in person?

"You are really, really, really cute! :-)" he later told me, online.

At that point, it was safe for me to wipe the beads of sweat from my forhead, and realize that maybe I wasn't as ugly as I originally thought.

What I like about Coffee Guru, is that he's so up front and honest about things, and unlike the majority of gay men in this world, we have spoken for a week now without ever asking who was "a top" or "a bottom", or "how big are you". That factoid alone has gained him a lot of trust from me, because his intentions are clear: he finds me to be an attractive, and interesting person, with qualities beyond the superficial.

All I can say for now is that I'm really really liking this guy, on a few dimensions, which is something I've never experienced. His kindness, and personality is going to make our first official date much easier. Well, that and those beautiful puppy dog eyes of his. :)

Wish me luck!